Daniel Joseph ‘DJ’ Kurkowski Memorial Scholarship
Scholarship Program Overview
The ASMF promotes the profession of arboriculture/urban forestry through scholarship, financial support and historical preservation.
“DJ” Kurkowski worked for the Detroit Forestry Department as a Certified Arborist. A dedicated volunteer in the field, he strove to support urban arboriculture through volunteerism and a donation of scholarship funds to the Arboriculture Society of Michigan. Through this memorial scholarship we provide financial support for students and those working in the fields of Arboriculture to become (ISA) Certified Arborists and to attend ArborCon, ASM’s Winter Conference.
- ISA Certification Training and Testing Fee up to $1250
- ArborCon Registration Fee up to $289 (awarded at the appropriate conference rate)
- Students or newly graduated from an accredited institution with a major or minor in a field directly related to arboriculture
- Students must have a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Non-students must be employed in a field directly related to arboriculture
- Must be enrolled in an arboriculture related educational program or employed in an arboricultural or related field
Application Instructions — Incomplete Applications Will Not Be Considered
¨ Deadline: Applications Processed on a Rolling Basis
- Signed ASMF Scholarship Application Form—incomplete/unsigned forms will not be accepted
- Current Academic Transcript (Students & Graduates)
- 2 Letters of Recommendation—from your educational institution or a professional in the field of Arboriculture
- Essay: Not more than 750 words describing your education or experience in the field and how you intend to make a career related to the field of Arboriculture
- Complete scholarship application packets should be emailed as 1 document to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions regarding the application process may be emailed to email@example.com
Award Notification and Disbursement of Funds
- Applicants will be notified of the issuance of an award or a denial of application to the email address listed on the Scholarship Application Form
- The award notification email will include instructions to accept the award and to provide additional documents required for the disbursement of funds
- Award recipients will be asked to submit a short bio and photograph for use in ASMF publications and online promotion as a requirement of acceptance of the award
- Current ASMF Board members and their family members are ineligible to apply.
- A committee of no less than 4 current ASMF Board members will select scholarship recipients.
- ASMF does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability or national/ethnic origin.
- Incomplete application packets will be not be considered or returned, applicants will receive a notification of rejection by email.
- The scholarship is awarded on a one-time basis and is not renewable.
- Applicants are required to follow all post acceptance requirements for disbursement of funds.
- Proof of payment documenting scholarship disbursement may be required to attend ArborCon or to register for certification training and testing.
- Submission of the signed scholarship application and supporting documents indicates agreement by the applicant to comply with all scholarship policies and requirements as outlined in the Scholarship Application Form and the Scholarship Overview. Failure to comply results in forfeiture of the award and requires immediate repayment of funds as instructed by the ASMF.
- The number of scholarships awarded annually is at the discretion of the ASMF Board of Directors.
Questions regarding the scholarship application process or governing policies should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of the ASMF Scholarship Committee